Microthemer – What Do You Like? What Could Be Better?

Author Posts

Sebastian

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Have you come across any frustrating aspects of Microthemer that you’d like to see fixed? Do you think it really really needs a particular feature? Or to support a new Plugin or Theme? Is there anything you think is great about Microthemer?

If you’ve got something to say about Microthemer, we really do want to hear it. And if you have suggestions that make sense to us, the likelihood is we’ll act on them.

Thanks

Abland

Hi,

I think an eyedropper tool would be a good plus to the visual editor. A quick and easy way to match up a colour selection.

Keep up the good work, Sebastian 🙂

Sebastian

ColorZilla for firefox and Chrome does that if you want that functionality right now: http://www.colorzilla.com/

Thanks for the feedback!

Abland

That is nice! Thanks 🙂

Sebastian

“how about wangling googlefont support into the font options. Now that would be really sweet”

Just to let you know, Microthemer 2.2.9 now supports Google Web Fonts.

yazo

How about applying styles to dropdown menus?
Currently when i click a dropdown menu (from a wp plugin i previously installed) it doesn’t select the dropdown nor does it allow you to further edit or apply styles.

Sebastian

Hi yazo,

Thanks for providing some feedback!

This is a known issue actually. One I wasn’t successfully able to find a solution to when I was developing the double-click to edit feature in the visual view (it’s doesn’t seem possible to trigger a double-click Javascript event with select menus). However, there is a work around you can try.

If you double-click something near the select menu you would like to style, you should be able to navigate the highlighting onto the select menu using the directional controls on the selector wizard. Once you’ve navigated onto the select menu, you may want to click the down arrow one more time to move targeting onto the menu items.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

Sebastian

yazo

Hi Sebastian,

Yeah thanks for the tip (work-around), actually I have tried this before and for the most part it has worked for me in the past (on other selectors), unfortunately in this situation it’s not working for me with the double click on these “select menus” and navigation and directional controls. Again it doesn’t give me any selectors to modify.

Could you please look into again on a way to select these with your tool, and give it another try? That would really help me style these drop down selectors.

Thanks again Sebastian,

yazo

Sebastian

Hey Yazo,

I’ve done a fair bit of research on this now and it really doesn’t seem to be possible to target select menus using the click method. I hope you managed to find a way to target them. If not, please send me a link to your page and I will provide you with the CSS code to paste into your selector manually.

Cheers,

Sebastian

yazo

Hi Sebastian,

Here is the link to the page, go here: http://nutritionsprides2.ihelpwebsites.com/
It is the Drop-down menu, right under the product where it says product.

I kinda tried to position it but it didn’t look good. Could you also tell me (in css) how to position it to display properly just a little bit to the right of where it currenltly resides? Right now its too close to the edge of the outline of the “Product” box. Last thing, could you tell me how to color the “up” “down” arrows in that drop down? Right now its currently set to light blue, would like to color it to green to match the site.

Thank you Sebastian for all your help.

Sebastian

Hey yazo,

1. You should be able to target the select menu with this CSS selector:
.menu-vitamins-container .select
And then change it’s position by setting the position to “relative” and setting the left value to about 20px. If that doesn’t work, you could try giving it a left margin of about 20px.

2. Changing the color of the arrows would be difficult. It’s not something you could do with CSS code/Microthemer. The arrows are part of an image sprite (background image) and so you would need to edit the image (images/sprite-aristo.png) with a graphic design program.

By the way, that select menu isn’t a normal select menu. It uses javascript so that it’s appearance can be controlled by the image sprite, which normally isn’t possible with select menus.

I hope that’s helps a bit.

Cheers,

Sebastian

yazo

Hello Sebastian,
Thanks for the help. Yes your right about the arrow drop downs, I would have to style them since they are images.

Take care,

yazo

josephstory

Would love to see a blank theme pack for the infamous buddypress-default theme. Soon, they will be doing away with it, the next version it will not be installed any longer in new installs. There will be many people looking to have something nice to handle their theme.

Thanks for any consideration,

William

Sebastian

Hi William,

I’ve made a note of this. I have a few other theme/plugin packs to create first, including an update to the WooCommerce plugin pack.

Thanks for providing feedback.

Seb

noerman

Just love to have these css ready to be customized
Latest version of -> buddypress + bbpress + WooCommerce + UltimatumTheme Framework

Thanks.

Galen

It would be good to have a place for Notes in the Sections and Selectors so that they appear between /* and */ in the Active CSS file.

Sebastian

Hi Galen,

Thanks for your suggestion. I would have to weigh this up against the continuing need to keep the UI as simple as possible. What kind of notes do you normally add to stylesheets?

Cheers,

Seb

Galen

I mainly use notes when developing a site so it varies a lot. At the top I add the theme colour # codes for ease of reference so anyone inheriting the site can do a quick search and replace. Then notes which describe briefly what that block of code refers to, for example /* Brochure Widget */

Having worked with Microthemer over the past few days I’ve come to realise that if I name my Sections and Selectors properly, for example /* Blockquote Before And After */, I can add any other notes to the Read Me text file once I’ve exported the final Microtheme.

The beauty of Microthemer is that it overrides the existing styles without overwriting them so there’s no need to comment out the original css block in the active theme’s style.css. That’s a great time saver.

Sebastian

Hi Galen,

Thanks for the explanation. I’m glad you’ve managed to an acceptable way of documenting your work. And that you’ve found some benefits to using Microthemer.

Let me know if you need help with anything.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Galen

More additional than better – it would be great to be able to customise the css colours for the backend admin.

Abland

Happy New Year, Sebastian!

Version 2.5.5 … Bravo! 🙂 The visual editor just keeps getting better and better.

Sebastian

Thanks Abland 🙂

Happy New Year to you too!

A tutorial and video guide outlining the new responsive features to follow shortly.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

Galen – were you suggesting this because the contrast of the controls against the website in the visual view isn’t always very strong if the website uses light colours?

Cheers,

Sebastian

Galen

Not really, it is more that it would be good to be able to customise the look and feel of the admin panel so it matches the front end theme of the site.

Sebastian

Oh I see. To be honest, it’s unlikely I’ll add that feature. I imagine that other features will always gain priority, even if it would be a nice thing.

Thanks for the suggestion though, keep em coming 🙂

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.