Microthemer – What Do You Like? What Could Be Better?

Author Posts

Sebastian

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Thanks for reminding me about Galen’s suggestion. Yes I think a selector/style search feature would be useful. The aim is for Microthemer to present the same options developers have available when editing a CSS stylesheet directly, and the search feature of a text editor is often used.

Cheers,

Sebastian

yazo

No problem (about Galen’s suggestion).

On a side note, does Microthemer have a function to “on hover” swap images?
I wanted to do something like this: http://digitalpixelstudio.com/ look towards the bottom and hover over the social buttons.

I looked in the Microthemer tuts and such, but i didn’t see it mentioned or I am not seeing it.

Thanks Sebastian,

yazo

Sebastian

Hi yazo,

Looking at the example you referenced I think they achieved that with Javascript. But it is possible with CSS and therefore Microthemer.

You would need to set the image as a background-image of a (link?) element. And then create a different selector (e.g. Social Link Hover) with :hover appended to the CSS code e.g. “#social-icons a:hover”. By setting a different background image for the hover selector you can achieve the image swap on hover.

Microthemer’s selector wizard always suggests a :hover option among the various options in the dropdown menu when you double-click something – if you double-click on a link element. But you can still create :hover state selectors on any other non-link element. You will just need to manually add :hover to the end of the CSS code in the textarea in the selector wizard.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,

Seb

graffig

Seb
Any more news on a latest release or updates as discussed above. Also,Real-time updating in the visual css editor – any more thoughts?

Cheers

Sebastian

Hi graffig,

It’s on still very much on the cards. I’m focusing a lot attention on how to develop Microthemer at the moment. But it may be that all upcoming features get released in one go with the launch of Microthemer V3. This is likely to be May. If that’s very upsetting I would consider launching specific features on V2 while V3 is still under development.

Cheers,

Seb

yazo

Hello Sebastian,

First of all thanks for the reply and the explanation. (hover/mouseover of images)

Yeah, you think you could give an actual example, perhaps a step by step? or visual? That would clear things up a bit.

Thanks again.

yazo

Sebastian

Hi Yazo,

I’ve made a quick video demonstration of creating a hover selector – a selector where the styles only apply when the user hovers their mouse over an element. See here: https://themeover.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/creating-a-hover-selector.avi

If you have any trouble viewing it I’ll upload it to youtube.

Please let me know if you still need assistance.

Cheers,

Seb

yazo

Thanks Sebastian!

yazo

yazo

Hello Sebastian,

It’s been awhile since i posted (back in march), just wondering on the “up coming” new features you have planned for Microthemer aside from the regular updates you release. Any progress to report since the last posts? I last remember you mentioning working on the UI. Just wondering how things are going since its been quiet for the last couple of months 🙂

Thanks and looking forward to hearing from you,

All the best,
yazo

Sebastian

Hi Yazo,

Yes I was expecting someone might give me a friendly nudge soon. You’re right I have been a bit quiet (on the surface of things). To update you:

1. I’ve actually implemented the new feature for showing the current CSS values a theme has now. I need to thoroughly test this in all modern browsers though. I’m currently on holiday in Poland until the 29th so will only be responding to support request until I return. I’m keen to roll out this new feature as soon as possible though so you can expect to see it in the first week of July. Was it you that first requested this feature!?

2. The new interface has been fully completed in PSD form. This is my top priority after releasing the CSS inspection feature. It will be more than a lick of paint, but I’m hoping to get this finished by the end of July.

3. There are a number of other features I will release as 3.x updates such as better custom font support, easy image upload from the UI page, media query editiing from the UI page and better default media queries (there will be “sets” of media queries users can choose to start with). And I will also be looking at integrating support for CSS pre-processors.

I have taken a note of all other previous customer feature requests and will be implementing most of them in time too.

Cheers!

Sebastian

Abland

Hi, Sebastian,

Nice work on this latest release. I can see the overlay of current values saving design time. When first becoming accustomed to Microthemer I found I could at times force a rule outside an element because I didn’t know it was targeted further in, but being able to see what rules an element has in the same editing pane is a huge plus.

Now I’m looking forward even more to what you have in mind for the future! Nice work 🙂

Sebastian

Hi Abland,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes I think the reporting is a really useful feature. For the reason you suggest and because it gives people something to anchor from. If they want to increase the space between paragraphs for instance, and they know that the current bottom margin value is 16px, they also know that applying any value greater than 16 will increase the space. It saves potential guess work.

I’m now going to be working solidly on the new UI, which is leagues ahead of the current UI in terms appearance and usability. Still lots do to, but I will get there!

Thanks for all of your support Abland.

Sebastian

wardie2437

I’ve had microthemer for some time now and I’ve NVER managed to get it to work NEVER manged to edit a theme or aanything. I’m still coding CSS, HTML and JavaScript manually.
I’m too embarassed to ask what would probably be very numpty question, so my advice would be some more in depth documentation or tutorials. I would live to be able to edit/customise some themes.
I hate whingeing. So I’ll finish off by saying I BELIEVE once I’ve managed to work this, it will be an extremenly good tool
Many Thanks
Paul (UK)

Galen

Wardie2437 – I am up for a challenge. I use Microthemer all the time and would not want to work without it. I do have a good working knowledge of html and css though. I use Firebug to find the bits that Microthemer misses and copy/paste the classes from there directly into Microthemer.

Give Sebastian the details of your live site, the theme you are using and what you are trying to achieve. I may need a copy of the theme if it is a commercial one. Ask him to forward them to me as there is no PM facility that I can see in this forum. I can then do you a screenshot video tutorial that can be used on this site and make a Microtheme for the theme in question which others can then access for free as well.

Sebastian

Galen, what an absolute star. I’m gob smacked at your kind offer.

Wardie2437, I’m sorry to hear you’ve never managed to get Microthemer working for you. There is no such thing as a numpty question in this forum. I’m always happy to help users with any issue they might have. If you’re trying to achieve something in particular that isn’t working, please share the details with me along with a link to your website and I will assist you until you’ve got things working. This will hopefully help you overcome future obstacles.

I’m currently working on version 3 of Microthemer – a totally new interface that should be much more intuitive to use. I will be redoing all of the tutorial videos and adding more thorough documentation. It would be really helpful to talk to you about the various issues you’ve had so that I can provide adequate training resources. I’m sure the things you’ve struggled with have also vexed others at one time or another.

Please do post your issue(s) so that I can offer assistance.

Many Thanks,

Sebastian

wardie2437

Thank you both very much for your kind offer.
This is an example (www.pinknbluewebsites.com)
What I would like to do is put some contact details in the top bar and make the light pink navigation bar stretch over all the way to the left.
Both of these things are quite easily achievable coding in HTML/CSS, however I do really want to do this in Microthemer.
I can alter things in Firebug.
I suppose my real question is “is there anyway I can get at the raw code?”. Or better still where do i edit/add the additional code in Micorthemer. (I hope this makes sense !!)

Many thanks in anticipation
Paul

Galen

Import the 2013 theme for Microthemer from https://themeover.com/theme-packs/

If it does not already exist, create a class for the navigation bar in Microthemer .navbar and in Microthemer apply the background colour #ffbaf1 which is currently only applied to the ul unordered list of menu items.

Microthemer will not help you edit the raw html to put contact details in the top bar. If there isn’t a widget position you can use you will have to hand code it in.

Sebastian

Hi Paul,

I’m getting a 403 forbidden error when I try to access your website: http://www.pinknbluewebsites.com/. Is this the correct link? It seems Galen has managed to view your site and analyse the HTML. I tried googling pinknbluewebsites.com but couldn’t find an alternative link.

Galen is correct that Microthemer will not help you edit the raw HTML. Microthemer cannot be used to add or edit existing content on the page – only restyle how content on the page looks. It follows the HTML-CSS separation in this respect.

But you should be able to use it to change the appearance of your pink navigation bar. Galen suggests manually creating a selector with “.navbar” as the value in the CSS code field. However, you shouldn’t normally need to manually enter in CSS selector code with Microthemer. You can normally double-click the things you want to restyle and then just give them a descriptive label using the selector wizard.

Sometimes the selector wizard doesn’t target exactly the element you’re after – because elements are sometimes nested inside each other with 0 margin so they appear as one element. Yet the style you’re trying to override may be set on the obscured parent element. Clicking the up arrow on the selector wizard directional controls can often reveal obscured parent elements (if the suggested code in the selector wizard dropdown menu changes but the highlighting appears not to change).

I can provide more specific instructions once I’ve been able to view your website.

Cheers,

Sebastian

yazo

Hi Sebastian,

Any new on the upcoming features? New UI, etc?

No hurry, just wondering. Thanks again for all your help. 🙂

Yazo

Sebastian

Hi Yazo,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I opened your message late on Monday and forgot to mark it unread for the morning.

We’re almost at the testing stage now. I’ve been working solely on version 3 for the past 3 months – I realised that I wasn’t making enough progress when trying to balance it with other things. And although I’m close, I still need to redo all of the documentation after the testing stage as the interface has changed quite a lot.

I can’t say exactly when it will be ready for release. I tend to constantly underestimate. But I can say that I will continue working on it solidly until it is ready so it shouldn’t be too long. I may also release a beta version when testing is complete but before the new docs are out.

You can expect a newsletter when there’s some proper news 🙂 I’m very exciting about version 3 and all of the features I will continue to release as 3.x updates.

Thanks!

Sebastian

yazo

Hey Sebastian,

Great hearing about the progress of ver 3. Yes do keep us updated.
Also is it possible to list the main features you have planned?

Thanks again!

Yazo

Sebastian

Hi Yazo,

Sorry for the delayed reply. Your request wasn’t urgent and I wanted to provide a proper reply, here is a quick list some of the main features.

– Much nicer icon-based UI with far more space available for seeing the site your designing and NO overlap of editing options.
– Everything is accessible from the Microthemer UI page (e.g. design pack installation and management, updating global preferences and media queries)
– Much easier management of sections (renamed folders) and selectors. You can copy and move selectors between folders with drag and drop too.
– Code editor with syntax highlighting for those that still like to program. You can still see the frontend site while you write your code. Clicking control+S to save means that you see your changes instantly. It’s a nice way to work on a site if you’re a die CSS hard coder. And this feature won’t be restricted on the free trial version.
– Some new style options (e.g. box-sizing, background-size) with more (animation/transition) options on the way in a later release.
– Background images are now managed via the wordpress media manager. On installing a pack with images, they are extracted to the library and image paths are updated automatically. When you download a pack, linked imaged are downloaded from the image library. It should make working with background images much easier.
– The selector wizard is now easier to use. It has a slider for tweaking your targeting instead of the dropdown menu. And computed CSS is reported at the wizard stage too. In a later release the HTML inspection will be improved further.
– Import/Export of settings has been improved too.
– And possibly some other things I’ve forgotten.

The beta release (working but without updated docs) will be ready soon!

Thanks for your patience, I think it will be worth the wait. And of course the upgrade will be free for all customers.

Sebastian

yazo

Hello Sebastian,

First of all sounds so exciting! Can’t wait, lol.

Thanks again for all your efforts and superior support!

Looking forward to the release. 🙂

Best,
Yazo

graffig

Hey Sebastian
Got hot with a lot of tweets from you earlier – does that mean there’s news on the horizon?

Hope all is well

Darron

Sebastian

Hi Darron,

My apologies for the barrage of CSS property tweets. That was a blunder. I was programatically creating wordpress posts for the new documentation and didn’t realise that a “Post to Twitter” plugin was spitting out a tweet for every post. I’m now deleting them all one by one.

But in answer to your question, yes there is news on the horizon. The new interface is ready and all new features for 3.0 have been added. I’m currently squashing bugs and creating the new documentation. I’m going to tentatively predict that it will be ready in about one week (as a beta without the new docs).

Cheers,

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.