Active Styles issue [I may have lost all my changes and cannot restore earlier]

Author Posts

terribleman

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

HI Sebastien,
Been using Microthemer since the beginning of time, but today I finally made a huge error… In preferences, I noticed it was set to active-settings, and I changed this to the named theme – thereby wiping all the work I’d done (since I didn’t notice I hadn’t got “export to theme” checked)… Temporarily it’s not a problem since I have a back and can simply replace the active-files.css via ftp – however, because everything has now been stored in the DB, I can’t make any new changes since if I so much as look at the Microthemer interface, it reverts to the mess I made when I changed settings in preferences…

Is there any way to import the active-settings.css into the theme, or convert the CSS to JSON, or somehow merge the active-settings.css with the microtheme settings? Or am I doomed?

Frank

Sebastian

Hi Frank,

You might be OK. If you’re using Microthemer 1.4 or later you can restore your settings from the previous 20 saves. If you scroll down to the bottom of the Microthemer UI page you will see a “Restore Settings From Previous Saves” option. Click the link and it will reveal a table of previous saves you can restore from.

Restore one of the recent options near the top to restore the most up to date revision.

If you are using an old version of Microthemer I think you may be doomed unfortunately. Microthemer can’t currently read CSS into the interface.

I can’t really see why that option in preferences is there. It seems like a health and safety hazard. I may well remove it when I release version 2, which I’m tantalisingly close to finishing! (but admittedly a bit behind the deadline I advertised a few months ago). It will be worth the wait though. I’m very proud of how things are coming along.

I really hope you’re using version 1.4! best of luck!

Sebastian

Abland

Hi,

The hosting I use includes being able to roll back files and directories to any day within the last 30 days. If the revision history isn’t an option, would your hosting have that rollback available, Frank?

terribleman

Hi…
Sadly I wasn’t using 1.4.1 (I use microthemer on a variety of sites and hadn’t ended up upgrading – argh!) Per Abland’s suggestion, I do have a rollback facility which gives me access to 30 days of SQL backs and have tried doing an SQL restore, but, although this seemed to work all selectors within microthemer disappear and any attempt to modify/export/save brings me back to the horror of my original mistake… As I said earlier, I can correct this temporarily by restoring an earlier version of active-styles.css but still can’t modify or export theme

Perhaps I am doomed

F

Sebastian

Hi Frank,

If you’re able to restore the database there may still be hope. Please restore the database to a time before you wiped the data. Then export your database as a zip file via phpMyAdmin (under the custom export options in phpMyAdmin please check “Add DROP TABLE” and uncheck “IF NOT EXISTS”) and email it to my “support at themeover” email address.

I should be able to create a micro theme from that which you can install.

Regards,

Sebastian

ps what theme did you customize with Microthremer?

You must login or register to reply to this topic.