Advanced Options > Targeting Scrollbar Missing

Author Posts

danmorrow

Newbie here! Just watched the Quick Start video (for about the fifth time!) and I notice that, when one clicks the Advanced Options and then the Targeting Tab a scrollbar appears allowing one to easily adjust the selected range. However, when I try to do it there is no scrollbar. Occasionally it seems to work still when I move the cursor around in that area, but it’s glitchy and unreliable usually doesn’t stick even when it starts to work. Any idea why the scrollbar is not showing up for me? I have used it in Chrome and Firefox (and I think Safari) with no luck.

Thanks!

Sebastian

Hi Dan,

We recently updated the advanced selector wizard targeting options. The slider on the left is no more. Instead you just hover over a suggestion to preview it (via the blue highlighting) or click on it to select it. A scrollbar should appear on the right if the list is long, but only when the list is long enough to require a scrollbar.

If that doesn’t fully explain your experience, there might be another issue at work. I’d be happy to check your site if you can send login details via this secure contact form?

https://themeover.com/support/contact/

And sorry for the trouble. We will update the quick start video once we’ve rolled out a few more changes to the interface in the next week or so.

Cheers,
Sebastian

danmorrow

Thanks for getting back to me! Understood. I am in the middle of trying to get my site live, and am waiting for DNS changes to take effect. Once that’s all set, I’ll jump back in and test things again, and get back to support if I need to.

I would definitely love to see more videos, as time allows over there. I’m a visual learner and am craving more.

Thanks!

danmorrow

OK. It looks like it is working as intended. A couple of questions:

1. As I run my cursor up and down the list and the highlighting changes, do I just click and select the one I want to work on? I only

http://d.pr/i/1ewoj/4v763BAw

2. I’m new to all this stuff, trying to learn what I can. If you will look at the screenshot below, this is part of the Targeting area after I click on one of my header menu items (the Home button). That first line (the highlighted one) is where all of my menu items become highlighted instead of just the Home button (Home, About, Contact). Once I click on line down, all three are highlighted. That said, all three remain highlighted as I run the cursor over all of these items.

Can you help me understand which of these I would want to select if I just want to change the look of the three menu items?

What’s the difference between the different levels? I understand it has to do with which parts of the element are being affected, correct?

Anyways, I realize this is more than we can really go into here. Any advice or references to what I can go study would be helpful!

Sebastian

Hey,

1. Yes, you click an option in the list to select it. It seems that you started another sentence ‘I only…’. Did you have another question relating to this point?
  2. If you’re able to post a link to your website or send it privately via our contact form (https://themeover.com/support/contact/) I can probably explain things in more concrete terms. In brief, the different selectors Microthemer suggests are based on it’s analysis of the HTML on the page. It looks for classes and IDs that could be used to build a selector. Sometimes it builds options that are visually equivalent. So as you hover over the options the highlighting doesn’t change. Other times it does. Depending on the HTML on the page, it may or may not be easy to target a subset of menu items with one selector. But if you can send me a link to your site I can advise you on the best approach.

Cheers,
Sebastian

danmorrow

Wow! I have no idea what I was going to say. Looks like one of my copy/paste/delete/pate/etc. messes. I am guessing it was also very late. I’m barely awake now. 🙂

Thanks for your help! I have kept playing at it and am starting to figure it out more. If I get my head on straight I will send you a message privately. Thanks for taking the time to explain this. It helps!

You must login or register to reply to this topic.