Everything gone [lost Internet connection, lost all settings and styles]

Author Posts

cocoon

Hello,

when I was making some changes, I lost my internet connection and got a “save error” after that all my preciously made changes where gone and the generated style is empty

Please help

Thx Andrea

Sebastian

Hey Andrea,

If something goes wrong it should be possible to recover your previous settings via Microthemer’s history:

1. Hover your mouse over the History option in the top right of the interface.
  2. Choose the Restore revision option in the dropdown menu that appears.
  3. A table listing up to the last 50 save points will be displayed.
  4. Restore a revision near the top to roll back to the most recent point. Notice the size column at the very left which gives you the size of your save in KB. That may provide a useful clue on which save you can restore that will have settings rather than being empty.
  5. Click the restore link in the right hand column to restore your previous settings.
  6. That should be it! Please let me know how you get on.

Cheers,
Sebastian

cocoon

hey Sebastian,
history is empty 🙁

cheers, Andrea

Sebastian

Hi Andrea,

I’m very sorry to hear that. I’ve not heard of this happening before, which suggests it could be caused by a rare event. One rare event that comes to mind is database corruption. It may be than one or more of your WordPress database tables corrupted. Have you noticed anything else missing in WordPress generally?

There is a feature within PHPMyAdmin to repair corrupted database tables. Are you familiar with PHPMyAdmin yourself? If not, you could ask your web host to check if your database has been corrupted. Or I could look into it if you’re happy to send me your hosting credentials privately.

Just remember to create and export of your database as it stands now before initiating the repair via PHPMyAdmin, just in case.

Cheers,
Sebastian

cocoon

Hi Sebastian,
this is so strange. Just went to check the database and first looked at the table micro_revisions – it had entries and database check said the table is OK. Opened microthemer and saw that the revisions are back in the history. Loaded an older one, all my folder are there – but the site looks like the stylesheet is not loaded. When I click on View > Generated JSS & JS then the styles are loaded and applied. When I leave microthemer it’s set back

???

Cheers, Andrea

Sebastian

Hi Andrea,

That is strange. Have you also checked the following database table, which contains the active styles: wp_options. The entry’s option name will be microthemer_ui_settings. If this table corrupted, copying the styles from the revision table might cause the behaviour you noticed.

My next step would be to refresh the Microthemer interface with the console open. Any JavaScript errors might provide a clue to the problem. I’d be happy to take a look for you if you’d prefer.

Cheers,
Sebastian

P.S. when you viewed the Generated CSS & JS that triggers Microthemer’s auto-save, which explains why the styles then applied. But doesn’t explain why things got set back (to an empty UI?) after you left Microthemer.

Brothers_WEB

I have had the very same thing happen to me today. I cannot see any of my edits. Though they are still active. I get errors when i try to do recovery option…. PLease Advise

Brothers_WEB

The only thing that worked was restoring my database from yesterday.. now it works.. i lost very little..

Sebastian

@Brothers_WEB I’m glad you managed to recover your database settings. It’s strange that two of you have encountered this problem, and around the same time. We haven’t released a new version of Microthemer in a while. What web hosting company do you both use?

@cocoon
– are you still battling with this?

Cheers,
Sebastian

cocoon

Hi Sebastian,
sorry I didn’t get back earlier 🙁 – was too busy. I ran a recovery on the both tables you mentioned (both said that they are OK when I did the check) and next day everything was back to normal. Could it have been a WP Update?

Cheers, Andrea

My hoster is Strato

Sebastian

Hey Andrea,

No problem at all, I know how it is 🙂 I’m glad everything has been working since. I’m here is you need further assistance with this or any other problem.

Cheers,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.