Save error [unknown error, forbidden – RESOLVED]

Tagged: 

Author Posts

Pfeff

Hello there,
Has anyone received this error message?
Restore function doesen’t solve the problem.

Save error
Unknow Error.
Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /wp-admin/admin.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks,

Abland

Hi, Pfeff,

I received it on one hosting account I managed. In my case it was an issue with the server hosts adding new rules for mod_security which conflicted with a specific plugin. I disabled plugins one by one until I found and removed the problem one and was able to save properly afterwards.

Easy Content Templates was the problem one for me.

Plugin conflict may not be your issue but you could try there.

Sebastian

I agree that it sounds like a server/folder permissions issue.

Have you password protected your WP admin area with .htaccess?

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Pfeff

Hello there and thank you both for your support Abland/Sebastian.
Actually I don’t think that I have a pass through .htaccess but I do have a pass on that test page, could be a reason, I’ll keep an eye on this behavior especially when edit regular pages/posts without being pass protected.

@Abland
, what kind of rules for mod_security and who did this step you or your server support please ?

Btw, I know it’s a noob question but … is there any way to request a ststus of the .htaccess assuming that this file exist ?
I’ve found some .htaccess files in the wp-content/uploads folder but not in wp-admin folder or subfolders.

Sebastian

Hi there,

The most common place you will find a .htaccess file is in the root directory of your WordPress install.

I just tried editing a page that is password protected by WordPress but that didn’t seem to cause an save errors for me.

The problem may relate to WordPress directory and file permissions: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

I’d be happy to look at your site if necessary?

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sebastian

PS there may be an option to ‘Password Protect Directories’ in cPanel so you might want to check there too if your web hosy uses cPanel.

Pfeff

Hello again,
In the root directory there is no .htaccess file but last time I’ve experienced this kind of behavior the server itself gave me the above mentioned error on the page (not only the microthemer).

Sure, I can send you the login details to take a look but first I’ll talk with the host admin maybe he can give me some guides. I’ll come back with details.
I appreciate it.

Abland

Hi, Pfeff,

Sorry I didn’t respond to your question – I didn’t select to be notified of responses when I posted. The mod_security rules are applied by the server host – on shared hosting we wouldn’t have access to that.

In my instance the plugin I was using was applying form values into a template that the rules interpreted as an injection attempt (or maybe brute force, I can’t recall specifically now) and it refused to save until I disabled the plugin.

Pfeff

@Abland

In my instance the plugin I was using was applying form values into a template that the rules interpreted as an injection attempt (or maybe brute force, I can’t recall specifically now) and it refused to save until I disabled the plugin.

now so sure if I understand .. it was microthemer or other plugin who applied those values into the template ?
Thanks,

Abland

Hi, Pfeff,

It was another plugin, but that other plugin just being active was enough to trigger the security response even though I wasn’t using it directly.

Pfeff

it’s all clear now, thanks.

You must login or register to reply to this topic.