Total newbie can't change font style of *part* of page name

Author Posts

Dominique

Hi Sebastian,
I’m a total newbie to both designing a website and Microthemer, so could you please explain in simple, and detailed language [sorry!].
I’m using Firefox, and Weaver Xtreme theme.
I’m trying to change the font style of only part of some webpage titles, but can’t work out how to. If you look at this page: http://dominiquewilson.com.au/summary_tdm/ , I’d like the title of the book to be in italics. Same with other page titles that mention book titles on my site. But when I double click on that section in Microthemer, I can’t get to just the book title, ie: the whole page title is highlighted. How do I edit just a section of it, please?
Thank you in advance for you time.

Sebastian

Microthemer can only target content separately if it has been separated with HTML tags. Much of the content on your page already has the appropriate HTML tags to separate the pieces of content. But you want fine segmentation of a sentence. And so you will need to manually add the HTML tags yourself.

In WordPress, go to your summary of That Devil’s Madness page. Change the page title from:

summary of That Devil’s Madness

To

summary of <span>That Devil’s Madness</span>

Save the page and return to Microthemer. Now when you double-click the That Devil’s Madness text, Microthemer will be able to target it separately.

I hope that helps!
Sebastian

Dominique

Thanks for the quick reply, Sebastian – it’s much appreciated!
That did work to separate those words from the page title, however, when I click on that section in the page heading in themeover, it now also targets all the text in the rest of the page below, not just those three words. Yet I made sure that only those three words were highlighted when I created a selector for this. What am I doing wrong please?

Sebastian

Hi, when I view your page now, everything after ‘summary’ in the title is missing? Could you check on that please? Once you’ve put the text back, here’s the next step:

When you double-click something, the selector wizard appears on the right. Under the Targeting tab is a list of potential selectors for targeting elements on the page. Sometimes the default selector isn’t right. It may target too many or too few items on the page. You can change the selector by clicking an alternative one in the list. For your purposes, the following selector should work:

h1.page-title span

Click that selector. The highlighting will change to show that only the span element you added to the title is being targeted.

Please let me know how you get on!

Cheers,
Sebastian

Dominique

Yes, I’d deleted everything after summary until I worked out how to fix it – but I’ve re-added it now.

Thanks for the advice, Sebastian, but it’s still not working. When I click ‘h1.page-title span’, just the title of the book is highlighted, as you correctly predicted. However, when I then try to change the font for that bit to italics, the whole of the page title turns to italics, not just the title of the book…

Sebastian

Sorry, I should have gone on to explain that after you click the selector in the list:

h1.page-title span

You should name it and then click the CREATE SELECTOR button. This new selector should replace the one you created earlier that targets all the text on the page. You can delete the old one using the bin icon in the folders and selectors menu at the top left (which appears when you hover over a selector).

If you apply italic to your new h1.page-title span selector, it should apply to just the text in the title, as the highlighting your saw suggests.

Cheers!
Sebastian

Dominique

Hi Sebastian,

It worked – thank you so much!

I really like this plugin and will definitely be buying the full version when I get paid next month.

Kind regards,
Dominique

Sebastian

You’re welcome Dominique, I’m glad we got there in the end!

You must login or register to reply to this topic.