Unable to rename large section

Tagged: 

Author Posts

jamiemortimer

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hi there,

I am attempting to rename one of the main sections, which contains 70 css entries.

Everytime I attempt to rename the section, it is a quite sluggish, as can be expected. It seems to rename fine, but is unable to save.

Just wondering if there’s any other way for me to edit this? i.e. in mySQL maybe?

Thanks,

Jamie

Sebastian

Hi Jamie,

I would recommend generally not creating more than 20 selectors per section for performance reasons. I appreciate that Microthemer doesn’t currently provide a convenient way to move selectors across sections. Version 3 will allow you to do this – the beta should be ready in about one week (fully tested but pending new documentation).

It’s probable that the reason you can’t save the data is that you are exceeding the max_input_vars PHP setting on your server. The easiest thing to do to fix this issue is to ask your host to change the php.ini max_input_vars setting to 5000 (it’s normally 1000 by default). Version 3 also has a fix for this problem without having to adjust max_input_vars, but it’s not quite ready for release.

If you can’t change max_input_vars I recommend the following:

1. Export your work as a micro theme using the export option in the fixed right hand menu.
2. Go to the Microthemer > Manage Themes page and download config.json from the theme files table
3. Copy the file, keeping the original in case you encounter problems.
3. Use a text editor to open the copied file and do a search and replace for all instances of the section name as you see it e.g. “My Section” as well as all instances in lower case with underscores instead of spaces e.g. “my_section”. Watch out for any other sections or selectors that have “my_section” as part of the string e.g. “my_section_selector”. You don’t want to “over replace”.
4. Upload the edited config.json using the upload button at the top of the theme files table. This will replace the existing file.
5. Finally import the micro theme back into the Microthemer UI using the import (and overwrite) option in the fixed menu on the right.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you run into any issues.

Cheers,

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.