When a designer's client terminates [how to deactivate Microthemer?]

Author Posts

Chazzer

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hi Sebastian

I suspect that a client will request to transfer to another designer soon. I do not want them to be able to have unrestricted access my microthemer license for free but ethically I cannot remove it either.

How can I leave them with microthemer but prevent updates or copying to another website?

Chazzer

Just had an epiphany. I suppose I could copy the active-styles.css into the theme and remove microthemer?

Sebastian

Hey Chazzer,

You could do what you’ve suggested. Another (possibly easier) alternative would be to switch Microthmer into free trial mode by submitting a blank value on the validation form and then adding the following code to your functions.php file:

/* Manually add Microthemer stylesheet */
function add_microthemer_css() {
wp_register_style( 'microthemer', WP_CONTENT_URL . '/micro-themes/active-styles.css');
wp_enqueue_style('microthemer');
}
add_action('wp_enqueue_scripts', 'add_microthemer_css');

That way your client won’t see your valid email address and therefore won’t be able to use your license on other websites.

Cheers,

Seb

Sebastian

PS you can deactivate Microthemer too using the above solution. Deactivating (or even uninstalling) doesn’t remove active-styles.css

Chazzer

Thanks for the options, Sebastian.
I will save this in case it comes to pass.

You must login or register to reply to this topic.