Agreeing to terms etc. [checkbox missing – RESOLVED]

Tagged: 

Author Posts

cotswoldphoto

Might just be me, but the checkbox for agree to terms is invisible in Firefox, and the one when registering. I only figured it after hovering my mouse gave me a pointer on a blank area to the left of the text. It is the span that is called fake-checkbox

Sebastian

Hi there,

Very kind of you to report this to us. It seems OK in my version of Firefox, but perhaps you’re using a slightly older version than the most recent (35.0.1)? Regardless, I’ve updated the custom checkboxes so that they have a background color that changes when you click them. Previously the custom checkbox was controlled by a sprite image and had a transparent background color. The sprite Themeover uses is quite large and so my best guess is that your browser was struggling to align it correctly. I know that old iphones have this issue.

If you go to the registration page you should see a more obvious checkbox that goes green is you click it: https://themeover.com/register/

Even though it may not look quite like it’s meant to: https://docs.google.com/a/themeover.com/file/d/0B2vCpmXg7SjlOFVsdmRIdDJ2UXc/edit?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for your time. If you need help with anything please let me know.

Thanks,

Sebastian

cotswoldphoto

Hi

I have the latest version. It must have been conflcting with something. I can see it now 🙂

Trevor

Sebastian

OK great, thanks for the heads up anyway.

Cheers,

Sebastian

cotswoldphoto

My friend just tried to buy, and had the same issue. He can see the tick box (that at least is fixed), but it doesn’t get ticked! Most frustrating I would say. He says he has sent emails but has not had a reply. He is quite angry at this use of fake tick boxes. I must admit I cannot see any good reason to do this. I wonder how many sales you lose because of this?

I logged out and tried to buy and the box is there, but it will not tick. So he is right.

cotswoldphoto

I would add that when clicked it does add the on class, but nothing appears. It also allows you to continue. But my friend has now got a big bad mood and he is refusing to try again until he gets a reply to his emails and sees a fix. Some people are like that. Me? I just go with the flow.

Sebastian

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for raising this. It was obviously more of a problem than I initially realised. I’ve replaced all checkboxes on the site with regular checkboxes. The site was redesigned a few weeks ago. I used the fake-checkbox method because regular checkboxes can’t be styles consistently across browsers (most only allow for very limited styling). And I wanted the site design to match Monika’s new design exactly.

The mistake I made was not having an appropriate fall back for graceful degradation. The checkbox should not have been hidden, just obscured by the custom checkbox (a span that is synced with the checkbox via javascript). That way if the fake-checkbox didn’t display for any reason the regular one would still be usable.

It’s a real shame that my mistake caused so much anger and frustration for your friend. It’s also a shame that the time zone difference meant that I couldn’t respond to his email and set things straight immediately. I have subsequently responded to apologise. Hopefully I can make amends somehow.

Thank you for all of your input Trevor, it’s a shame I didn’t investigate your initial comment more thoroughly in the first place.

Cheers,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.