Any plans to support Gutenberg?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Sebastian 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Author Posts

nick

One of the main purposes of Gutenberg, besides making us work harder as developers, but if done properly the results for the end user can be spectacular, is the ability (if done properly), to accurately display the blocks on the backend. When making changes with Microthemer, all is well on the front end, but those changes are not displayed in the backend (Gutenberg).

Since there is no turning back with Gutenberg, are there any plans to dynamically export the changes made in Microthemer into a CSS file that is loaded by Gutenberg to style things while editing pages/posts/CPTs?

Thanks as usual Sebastian.

Sebastian

Hey Nick,

Thanks for your comment. I have been thinking about deep integration with Gutenberg. I need to do a bit more research into the ultimate vision for it. Right now, it feels like it’s sort of in limbo as a backend editor. Will it eventually become a full frontend editor like Elementor and Beaver Builder? If so, I will wait for that to happen.

If not, I will add the best deep integration I can given the technical constraints. One of which would be limiting the scope of MT’s selectors so they only style content in the Gutenberg editor area, and in the correct way, without affecting other elements in the WP admin area.

So there are some issues to consider here…

Cheers,
Sebastian

nick

Hi Sebastian,

I’ve been following everything very closely what’s going on with the project, forums, slack etc… every time somebody suggested to make Gutenberg a front end editor, the devs reject that notion and insist that there are no plans for that. As a theme developer who makes themes and blocks for Gutenberg, I can see why nobody even has attempted to accurately represent the front end in the back end, not Divi, not WP Bakery etc… It’s too much burden on the theme developers to make things look as accurate as possible.

Anyway, I’m glad that you are thinking one step ahead. I think the whole thing should be pretty straight forward – dump the Microthemer changes in a CSS file, and register that CSS file to load it’s rules in the Gutenberg editor, I guess after all the editor styles are loaded by any plugins and the active theme.

Thanks,
Nick.

Sebastian

Hey Nick,

Sorry for the slow reply. I was away on a long weekend and just catching up on non-urgent things now.

I’ve just inspected the HTML the Gutenberg editor uses on the WP backend (e.g. the edit Post/Page screens). It differs considerably from the final HTML output on the frontend. Therefore, the CSS used to style the content on the frontend will not style the content on the backend. Microthemer’s CSS selectors will not be valid in both contexts. Therefore, I do not think it will be useful to load Microthemer’s CSS file (active-styles.css) in the Gutenberg editor, I’m sad to say.

Cheers,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.