Cannot install Microthemer [RESOLVED]

Author Posts

gaele

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hello,
I purchased Microthemer on Inky deal today and it is impossible to install it.
I am using WP 3.6.
Thanks

gaele

Hello again,
I downloaded it from my profile and it is installed perfectly.
Thanks

Sebastian

Glad you got it sorted!

Please let me know if you need assistance with anything else.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

Hi Mark,

It does look like a file permissions issue from the error message returned.

Please navigate to the /wp-content/ directory using your FTP program (e.g. filezilla) and then set the permissions to 755 on the /wp-content/ directory and also tick the box for “Recurse into subdirectories” (which is present with filezilla and saves you having to manually set 755 on all of the sub-folders).

Please let me know if that solves your problem.

Thanks,

Sebastian

rmark

Sebastian,

You said to set permissions to recurse into subdirectories. Do you mean apply to both files and directories? or one or the other?

I tried that. It didn’t work. I even tried testing on a private subdirectory with permissions set temporarily to 777, which you should really never do. It still didn’t work. I was shocked!

I tried installing from WordPress and manually via FTP, just in case I was running into group permission errors. Neither one worked.

Also, I looked in the original zip file that I downloaded from your Themover site. I did not see any .js file entitled, “css-properties-2.8.2.js”. Unless I am missing something, this indicates to me that even if proper permission settings were established, this .js file is missing anyway.

What should I do now? I really want to use your plug-in. It looks pretty cool.

Sebastian

Hi Mark,

In answer to your question about recursive directories/files, WordPress recommends that directories that need to be writeable be set to 755 and files to 644.

Microthemer creates the “css-properties-2.8.2.js” on the fly just once when you install Microthemer, or if it isn’t found when Microthemer looks for it. Hence it doesn’t come in the zip (well spotted). However, there was also an error relating to the /micro-themes/ directory, which Microthemer was unable to create.

It seems that your permission settings are not taking effect. Are you using windows hosting by any chance? I have often found that setting permissions with an FTP client doesn’t work on a windows server. The solution is normally to change permissions via your web hosting control panel. Or submit a ticket to your web hosting requesting this if they don’t let users change folder/file permissions.

Would this be possible?

Cheers,

Sebastian

rmark

Sebastian

My database for my FTP account at my host panel is set for 755, like it should be. I made all directories and files set to a permission of 755.

One of the errors has been fixed. But, I am still receiving the following: And, I cannot just create the file and place it where it needs to go, like a missing folder or something. I don’t have a copy of the file it needs.
—————————————–
WordPress does not have permission to create: /wp-content/plugins/microthemer/js/css-properties-2.8.2.js. Please see this help article for changing directory and file permissions:http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

This is so frustrating. I may need to find another plugin. I’m trying everything. I know my file permission changes are working, as I had to change something else earlier in a similar manner and it worked.

Any other ideas?

Sebastian

OK if the other errors have gone away it seems possible that your server may have a specific objection to the creation of new javascript files.

Here is the JS file Microthemer is trying to create: https://themeover.com/css-properties-2.8.2.js

I can adjust Microthemer so that it only creates the file on the fly on my development server and then is distributed with all of the other regular files. I will release this fix in the next update so that you can upgrade without this issue reoccurring.

Please let me know if adding the “css-properties-2.8.2.js” file to the /wp-content/plugins/microthemer/js/ directory solves the issue for you.

Thanks,

Sebastian

rmark

Thank you Sebastian!

I was able to get the app to work. It was odd, but I had to manually go into the .js sub-directory folder within the Microthemer folder, change the permissions again and then reset them back to normal afterwards. Once I did that, it worked and then I saw the “css-properties-2.8.2.js” file appear upon refresh.Even though I set permissions to 755 for the main wp-content folder and all sub-directories and files to 755 and/or 777 temporarily, it still didn’t work using that process originally like it should have. Again, very odd.

Now that it’s working, I have used up my trial and only made 3 minor text changes. Darn-it!!! I still am not sure I want to purchase it as the trial is so limited. I cannot tell what other things it can do and if it will be worth purchasing. It looks promising. But, you really don’t give a potential future customer enough in the trial version to determine if it would be a good return on their investment.

My suggestion would be to allow more functionality in the trial version, yet program in a page watermark that will not go away until the plugin is purchased. Artisteer, one of your competitor apps, works the same way.

I think you have developed a great app here. Good work!!! But, the trial is too limited. I believe your sales would be much higher if you extended functionality in the trial version.

By the way, I like your plugin much…much.. better than Artisteer anyway.

Sebastian

Hi Mark,

I’m glad you got it working. I’ve just discovered that 3 style limit you’re referring to. It’s actually a bug. It should let you create 9 selectors. As a quick workaround, if you delete the third selector in the free trial section it should let you create 2 more in 2 more sections (which you can create) .

I’m currently working on version 3 which is an enormous improvement on version 2. I have already addressed the free trial limitations in that release. If you want to be notified when it’s ready please sign up to my newsletter: http://eepurl.com/eKWHM

All the best!

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.