can't seem to change main menu button style [RESOLVED]

Author Posts

kjac

Hello,

I just downloaded the Lite version of Themeover last night and have (successfully) modified a few selectors already.
However, when I try to change the font and size, etc. of my main menu buttons, I can’t see the changes, and when I hover over the new values I’ve changed, the pop up box says “computed value:” and then gives the old value.
For info, I am working with the WP Moesia theme in Chrome.

Thanks in advance for your help/suggestions. To be honest, there is a good chance that I am the least competent user on this forum.

And thank you for this incredible plug-in that I have no doubt will become (in my case) indispensable!

Sebastian

HI there,

Thanks for stopping by. Your font style is probably not having an affect because a style rule defined elsewhere is overriding it. Looking at the live preview of that theme (https://wordpress.org/themes/moesia/preview/) I can’t see why the font-size property would be hard to override, but if you can post a link to the site you’re working on I’m sure I can diagnose the problem.

Cheers,
Sebastian

ps this tutorial on the CSS specificity might be useful to you: https://themeover.com/beginners-guide-to-understanding-css-specificity/

kjac

Thanks so much for your reply. I had a read through the material you sent, and checked that the automatic !important option was turned on (which it was).

My site is not live yet, but if you’d like to take a look, is it possible to send me an email and I can give you an access code? Thanks in advance if possible.

Sebastian

Sure. You can send login details via this secure contact form if you like: https://themeover.com/support/contact/

Thanks,
Sebastian

Sebastian

Hi Kjac,

Thanks for sending over your login details. I see the problem now. Your selector was:

li.menu-item a:visited`

Instead of:

`li.menu-item a

(which I have now changed it to). The extra ‘:visited’ pseudo class was not applicable to your menu items. In fact, many browsers are dropping support for this pseudo selector because they are now thinking that information about which links people click should be private and not logged by the browser. We should probably follow suit and remove it from the selector wizard suggestions and it no longer works in the way it used to.

Do you recall selecting the :visited option via the advanced targeting tab on the selector wizard? Perhaps without knowing exactly what it meant? If so, no problem. If Microthemer defaulted to that :visited selector however, that should not be happening and I will look into it.

I noticed something else when reviewing your site that is worth mentioning because it has the potential to cause confusion. The Moseia theme comes with customisation options that output the custom CSS to the head area of every page, rather than to an external stylesheet as Microthemer does. You may find that the best option is to apply any styles you can via the Appearance > Personnalisation options. And then use Microthemer to style things beyond what the Moseia theme allows you to style.

I hope that helps, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.