Can't use percentage values [RESOLVED]

Author Posts

everlearn

Hi ThemeOver,

I found a couple of bugs in ThemeOver.
My details are:
Safari 8.0.3 on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

– Themeover will regularly crash Safari 8.0.3 on Mac OS X

– The preview is not always reliable. Whenever I use percentages for instance to declare the width of a div. It will interpret it as pixels in the preview while it has written percentages in the code.

– When switching from device e.g. ‘Tablet & phone’ to ‘Phone’, the greyed out values shown in the parameter input boxes frequently show wrong values. They often are the latest values entered in the previous device. If I use percentages on one device and the switch to another device the value will show in grey for the same parameter but in pixels. I then have to save again or reload the page see the right values (if that happens at all).

Otherwise a fantastic plug-in.

Hope this info helps.

Kind Regards,
Rob

Sebastian

Hi Rob,

Many thanks indeed for reporting these issues. I’m working on some other Microthemer updates today and I will look into each of your 3 problems.

I will update you soon.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

Hi Rob,

I’ve released an update (3.1) that addresses all of the issues you flagged apart from crashing in Safari. My best guess at the stage is that it could have something to do with the computed CSS script working harder than Safari likes.

I was thinking of making the number of elements Microthemer analyses configurable via the preferences page anyway. Would you like me to release a quick update that provides this functionality so that you can quickly try out a fix by setting a low number. Of course this assumes that you can reliably recreate the conditions under which Safari crashes. An alternative options would be for you to send me a backup of your WP site (including the database) so that I can try to recreate the issue at my end and locate the source of the problem.

Either option is fine by me.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

Update – I see percent values still aren’t being honoured – it defaults to pixels. I will release another update soon.

Cheers,

Seb

everlearn

Hi Seb,

Don’t worry about Safari for now. Getting percentages and other units working is far more important in my opinion. I can always use another browser if crashing becomes too frequent. Besides, I can’t recreate the exact situation under which the crashes occur. It seems they happen after I use Microthemer for a long consecutive period. Maybe a memory issue?

Anyway, I haven’t had a crash with 3.1 so far. So keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the great support and a great product.

P.S. your new site looks great. Should do well for you.

Sebastian

Hi Rob,

1. I may have spoken too soon regarding the % unit problem. Microthemer uses jQuery’s .css() method to get the computed styles. This always returns the calculated actual pixels of the value specified in percent, ems, or rems etc. This is often quite useful. It isn’t actually a bug. Although what you want would also be useful. For instance, If you set 50% width on an element that is inside a 300px container element, it would be nice if the reported value was “150px (50% of 300px)”. I found some information on how to do this here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4006588/is-it-possible-to-use-jquery-to-get-the-width-of-an-element-in-percent-or-pixels. I would just need to weigh up how much strain this would put on the browser’s javascript engine.
    Am I on the right track here? Or could I be missing an actual bug?
  2. The reason I thought that percentage units were being ignored yesterday is that I’ve noticed another bug that only seems to affects firebug (on a PC, perhaps even just high resolution PCs like mine). When a responsive tab is clicked e.g. the “Tablets & Phone” tab, Microthemer automatically adjusts the preview screen to the max-width value (e.g. 767px). However, firebug doesn’t render any styles at that screen-width. They only work at 1px less e.g. (766px). This is incorrect behaviour. The styles should work up to and including 767px. I’m going to make addressing this issue my top priority today as the problem could cause a lot of confusion with Microthemer users when styles don’t appear to be working. I could just be something to do with my setup of course, but if anyone else notices this bug please let me know.
  3. The latest version 3.2.1 removes some debug output that was being generated behind the scenes. It’s possible that this was causing safari to crash as Microthemer sends more and more data if you use it continuously without refreshing the page.

Cheers,

Seb

You must login or register to reply to this topic.