Currently nothing is changing or saving?

Author Posts

pjb2hh

First off I want to say that I really like the idea of this plug in and the interface is done very nicely.

So far I’ve been happy manually tinkering with the CSS but was looking for something more effective and simpler to modify certain elements of our theme and third party plugins like EventON

Issue: nothing seems to be changing or saving?

Browser : Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101 (64-bit)

Hosting: Wp Engine

Theme: ThemesIndep | Theme: SimpleMag

Plugins: BWP Minify ( based on what I’ve read in the forum in regards to caching issues I went ahead and tried flushing the cache with out any success. )

Other Options: I have a custom CSS loaded in the current theme which i deleted and then re-tried Microthemer with out any luck again flushing the cache each time.

URL: https://bound2hiphop.com/

I can give you temp access via a secure method.

Thx

pjb2hh

So I contacted Wp engine and they corrected some permissions that got messed up when uploading via SFTP but I’m still having the same issues.

They said everything else looks okay on their end.

Sebastian

Hi there,

Yes if you could send temp login details via this secure contact for that would be great: https://themeover.com/support/contact/

I see that the active-styles.css stylesheet has been concatenated. That shouldn’t necessarily present any problems, but I can’t say for sure at this stage. If you can give me access to your site I should be able to find the point of failure.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pjb2hh

Hi Sebastian,

I’ve sent the temp login details to you, I look forward to your response.

Thx

pjb2hh

I re-sent you the right login now, Cheers

Sebastian

Thanks for that. I’ve isolated the problem. Your BWP Minify (Better WordPress Minify) plugin was causing some issues. Fortunately there is an easy work around.

In the general options of BWP Minify, you will find the following option: Minify CSS files automatically?

I just unchecked that option. Once you’re finished making customisations with Microthemer, you can simply recheck em>Minify CSS files automatically? and then click the Save Changes and Clear Flush button at the bottom of the page.

I’ve styled your author box in the way you requested to confirm that everything is working: https://bound2hiphop.com/author/pj/

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pjb2hh

Gotta say, Thank you and your support is top notch!

If I have any more issues or questions I’ll let you know

Cheers!

pjb2hh

I do have one question.

I noticed that when I re-checked the box and followed the instructions the author box would go back to white ( unstyled )

I also noticed on the tab ( Manage enqueued ) in the BWP Minify there is an option to “Manage enqueued CSS files”

With options to:

1. Styles stay in their original position
2. Styles to NOT minify
3. Styles to remove

More detail

For CSS files:
Styles to stay at original positions: used for styles that cause issues if combined or moved from original positions (formerly known as Styles to be minified and then printed separately)

Styles to not minify: used for styles that cause issues when minified or already minified (formerly known as Styles to be ignored (not minified))

Styles to remove: used for duplicate styles that you want to completely remove from your pages (formerly known as Styles to be forgotten)

I see that there are 2 CSS files in there from Microthemer

A. wp-content/micro-themes/active-styles.css
B. wp-content/plugins/microthemer/js/overlay/overlay.css

Thx

pjb2hh

So I guess the question would be should I exclude the minify for Microthemer and would there be any performance drawbacks from doing that ?

Sebastian

Hey,

You might want to exclude active-styles.css on the Manage Enqueued File tab in BWP Minify. This will have a minor performance hit because of the extra http request and whitespace characters in the file. One non-concatenated and unminified file only has a very minor impact though.

overlay.css is only loaded for logged in users. It’s only needed when you’re actually designing in Microthemer, so you don’t need to exclude it in BWP Minify.

But I imagine it should be possible to get Microthemer’s styles to work when active-styles.css is concatenated and minified with the BWP Minify plugin. I thought I did that successfully when I was experimenting on your site previously. If you’d like to create another temp login account for me I can try again and log the steps involved.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pjb2hh

Hi Sebastian,

I re-sent you a new temp login via the secure contact

Thx

Sebastian

Thanks for that. I was very confused for a while, but I think you must have some server level caching enabled (e.g. cloudflare). Your web host may have enabled this on your account by default.

When I’m logged in, the Microthemer styles do display when BWP Minify is on. When logged out the changes weren’t appearing – for a while. Then they did show after about 10 mins. The server level cache was presumably flushed. You can force a server level cache to flush by appending a parameter e.g. https://bound2hiphop.com/author/pj/?nocache=1 or https://bound2hiphop.com/author/pj/?nocache=2 etc

I think the combination of server level caching and the caching used by BWP Minify has created an environment that’s quite hard to make sense of. But, I see a way forward. To make live changes in Microthemer you just need to temporarily uncheck the Minify CSS files automatically? option as I suggested before. And then either wait for the server cache to renew over time or investigate a way to manually clear the server cache – but you will have to ask your host how this can be done.

I’d be interested to know what your host says about the server level caching.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sebastian

I’ve just read that WP Engine use something called ‘Evercache’. Perhaps this is configurable from your dashboard…?

pjb2hh

Hi Sebastian,

You are correct that there is a way to force clear the cache which is great cause I can do this and see the changes.

Thanks again for your amazing help and awesome support!

This plug-in rocks and so do you guys!

Peace!

Sebastian

You’re very welcome. And thanks for sharing the article on clearing the WP Engine cache!

You must login or register to reply to this topic.