First time using Microthemer…extremely dumb newbie questions.

Author Posts

jtkay

1) I do not have the WYSIWYG toolbar. Can’t find it.

2) I am selecting elements and trying to name them. Not saving. I will create a video to show what I am (apparently not) doing.

Sebastian

Hey,

Sorry to hear about your trouble getting started.

1. The toolbar only appears after you create your first selector, but
2. If you can’t create a selector I wonder if there is a plugin conflict causing issues.

This getting started video shows the process of creating your first selector. Watching that, and maybe also trying the live demo should give you an idea if something is amiss on your site.

I would be happy to take a look at your site if you don’t mind providing access via our secure contact form? You can use this handy plugin to provide access temporarily without sharing login details: https://en-gb.wordpress.org/plugins/temporary-login-without-password/

Cheers,
Sebastian

jtkay

Hi. I wanted to add this here.

Not saving?

Not sure what I am going wrong. My MT changes are not reflected in the preview.

Sebastian

Hey,

MT does auto-save. So if the frontend hasn’t caught up with the changes you’ve made in Microthemer it’s usually due to caching. Do you have a caching plugin enabled by any chance? I would normally try to see what’s going on by viewing the site but I can see from your video that you’re working on localhost.

If you do have a caching plugin enabled, clearing the cache should make the MT changes visible outside of MT.

If it’s not that, could you try applying some random background colors on other elements dotted around the site? If some things stick, but not everything, my other thought is that MT might be tapping into HTML classes that are different for logged in users vs non-logged in users. This doesn’t usually happen. But I recall you mentioned you only had MT and oxygen installed which throws doubt on the caching theory.

Thanks,
Sebastian

jtkay

Yeah. This is annoying when simple things get caught up. I will try and add this to a live site and get you the details. Thanks.

jtkay

Sebastian, what is your email so I can send you the Temporary Login? Thanks.

Sebastian

Hey,

You can send access details to my support [at] themover.com email address. I will check this immediately if you can send now. Or in about an hour or two if not. Apologies, I realise we’re operating in different times zones.

Thanks,
Sebastian

jtkay

Ok. I just created it. I assume it sent it to you. Otherwise, I will send the link manually.

jtkay

Update. My grid changes seem to be working. The color for my site title will not change, though.

Sebastian

Ah, I see you didn’t get my email reply (to your ‘Link just in case’ email). Here it is again:

OK, I’ve got it. Even though you turned off support for Sass, there were still some Sass variables in the full code view. That meant they were written to the CSS stylesheet. And because Sass variables aren’t valid CSS, they were making the browser ignore all of the CSS afterwards. Things were still working in MT because MT segments the CSS more, so only one style tag was invalid.

We have a few options for fixing this. I have currently commented out the Sass variables. But, if you prefer to use Sass I can re-enable it and help you with the issue you were initially having? The one that made you turn off Sass support in the first place.

The orange text is still orange because oxygen CSS is overriding it – a separate cause. You can make MT styles always override theme/builder styles by enabling !important globally (General > Preferences > Always add !important to CSS styles). That’s helpful if you don’t want to consider CSS specificity each time you create a selector. Alternatively, you could increase the specificity of your MT selector. So instead of:

#headline-96-8

You would have:

#headline-96-8.ct-headline

Adding .ct-heading adds 10 extra specificity points, making it override the Oxygen style.

Please let me know if it would be better to explain this in the form of a video.

Thanks,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.