Microthemer 5 Beta is tentatively ready for testing.

Tagged: ,

Author Posts

Sebastian

@mrover – many thanks for your bug reports. I’m not getting the same errors on my WAMP install, but I have a clue as to why you might be getting the errors. I’ll include some updates that attempt to fix your issues in the next iteration of the beta. And I may contact you to check they’ve worked, if that’s OK?

Many thanks,
Sebastian

mrover

Sure, contact me whenever.
On the local install, I’m using the twentyseventeen theme and Microthemer is the only plugin installed.

olleka

Hi.
I like the new version. But what about Flexbox? Is it going to be included?

Regards
olle

majamaki

Finally got to try out the beta, seems like it is much faster when working in the Microthemer UI (although I’m only testing it on a new site). While I have not use the inline selector functionality that much as I tend to add/write classes directly via the folders section, I can see how it is greatly improved and streamlines the workflow, especially with the advanced view.

Will the final release be adding the option to save popular or frequently used colors? (I had previously emailed about this to utilize something similar to the way Beaver Builder allows you to save colors). This has been one of my biggest pain points of having to go back and forth copy/paste from a site style guide or photoshop file. It would be very handy to be able to add frequently used colors that can be quickly accessed and selected.

Really looking forward to the final release, when are you expecting a final version that we can install on live sites?

Sebastian

@olleka – I’m glad you like the new version. The current beta focused on a myriad of targeting improvements. It will be released very soon. And then our sole focus for incremental 5.x updates will be increasing the number of CSS properties supported via the GUI, and improving their usability.

I’m happy to put flexbox at the top of the list because these properties will be both straight forward to integrate and very useful for end users.

Thanks,
Sebastian

Sebastian

@majamaki I’m just polishing off the color palette feature now. It’s possible I’ll release it in a new version of the beta on this thread later today. Although final checks might add another day or two. After that, I will update the getting started video, and run more thorough tests. The final testing phase could be quick or long depending on how many/difficult the bugs turn out to be. So I can’t give you an exact date. But I’m working all hours on it 🙂

I’m glad you like the changes in the first beta release, I hope you like the color palette too:

1. It samples colors from your website (not just the theme), which can be re-sampled on a per-page basis.
  2. It automatically saves the last 12 colors as you work with the color picker.
  3. And it has the ability to save colours to a custom palette.

Cheers,
Sebastian

majamaki

@Sebastian – thanks for the update and all your efforts. I can’t wait to start using it, sounds awesome! 😀👍

Nelmedia

Hey Sebastian,

I’ve sent you a couple of emails about the new version 5 and a demo video I created that I wanted to post on Facebook, but wanted to have your approbation first… I’ve never got an answer: did you get those emails?

Nelson

Sebastian

Hey Nelson,

No I didn’t get your emails! That’s worrying. Which email address did you send to (just the bit before @themeover.com please, so I don’t get spammed)?

Yes by all means post your demo video. I’d love to see it, and your emails 🙂

Thanks,
Sebastian

Sebastian

Ah, I’ve just found them in spam. I’m really sorry about that. You emailed me ages go! Oh man, I’ll watch your video now and respond via email 🙂

Sebastian

Hello everyone,

I’ve been addressing all of your helpful comments about the V5 beta over the past month. Here is the new beta version 5.0.0.1.

I will release it once it’s passed some final checks, and found a way to speed up the advanced HTML inspector. @Nelmedia highlighted that this can run very slowing on large themes that output lots of HTML elements. He’s kindly given me access to a theme that outputs 11K lines of HTML. If I can get it running smoothly on that, it should be workable for most users. Did anyone else find it to be slow with their theme?

I’ll explain the amendments in this version in roughly the order they were requested.

@Galen and @majamaki

color and more

1. I’ve added color palettes to the color picker, which as you can see can be dragged to any position
    • It samples colors from your website (not just the theme), which can be re-sampled on a per-page basis.
    • It automatically saves the last 12 colors as you work with the color picker.
    • And it has the ability to save colours to a custom palette.
    • The site/saved palettes are accessible via the 3 dots at the bottom right of the recent colors palette.
  2. @dmccan, Microthemer shows ‘Settings saved’ notification in the top right after each auto-save to reassure the user they don’t have to save on exit or any other point. It also has a link to the history table for easily undoing actions.
  3. @dmccan The target mode toggle uses the word ‘Target’ to be a bit clearer. The shortcut for switching code editor view has been removed. A keyboard shortcut can be used in addition to the switch in the ‘View’ menu: Ctrl+Alt+C

@Abland

color and more

1. I’ve added a link to some getting started tips (see next screenshot), which appears on first install.
  2. These tips can be accessed any time from the help menu (first option)
  3. The menu design has been updated. Not all action icons show by default to keep things simpler. Hidden actions can be accessed via the new ‘show more actions’ toggle.
  4. Adding a new folder is done with a button. The new folder can be instantly renamed.

color and more

@dmccan

color and more

1. You asked for this many moons ago. I’ve added an option to re-target an existing selector via the selector wizard. The icon used to be used for selector re-ordering.
  2. The new selector reorder icon is horizontal lines, which only appear when hovering over a selector.

Other Changes

The same code/label toggle system is used when editing an existing selector. You may notice that blue dots are used to indicate when styles have been applied, rather than the feathers.

color and more

The option for adding :nth-of-type() pseudo selectors has a dropdown menu of suggestions. Although I’ve just noticed a bug whereby selecting, then changing, values that have a plus in are not replaced properly (I think the + is being treated as a special character by regex). I’ll fix that before releasing the final version.

color and more

I’ve removed the prev/next selector nav arrows from top toolbar. I’m happy to return these if they were popular, but maybe to the right of the selector name in the top toolbar.

Bugs Fixed

@Galen
, MT should work with max mega menu, even with the first and last option enabled. Could you check this on your site?

Also, is it easier to drag selectors between folder on this version? I haven’t added multi-select or folder-open-on-hover. I haven’t yet added all plugin stylesheets to the menu for importing CSS stylesheets, but I’ll do it soon.

@mrover
, could you see if this error has been resolved?
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[‘ in D:\INSTANT-WORDPRESS\WP_4.7 BASE w MicrothemerBETA\iwpserver\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\plugins\microthemer\tvr-microthemer.php on line 2821

I’m not sure why the history time was wrong. But I’ve added the actual time as a tooltip when you hover over ‘x minutes ago’. Could you let me know what the actual times are for the misreported ‘ago’ values?

Thanks again for taking the time to help us make Microthemer better!

Sebastian

majamaki

@Sebastian
Thank you for the new color options, that looks like it does exactly what we need plus even more to improve the user experience. Thank you for all your hard work, can’t wait to start using it!

mrover

I get a new error now…
Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘[‘ in D:\INSTANT-WORDPRESS\WP_4.7 BASE w MicrothemerBETA\iwpserver\htdocs\wordpress\wp-content\plugins\microthemer\tvr-microthemer.php on line 4315

and the history time is still the same
http://picpaste.com/pics/themer-uW3Ym0fQ.1494539411.jpg

Sebastian

@mrover, sorry about the syntax error issue. I now see that I didn’t actually change the crucial piece of code after moving things around. I’ll address that today.

With the history problem, just so I’m clear, it still says 60 minutes ago even though those edits were many days ago?

Cheers,
Sebastian

mrover

I made some edits then check history and it says 60mins, if i wait 10mins and do another edit it will say 50mins for the first edit and then 60mins for the second edit.

Nelmedia

Hi Sebastian,

Is it possible that the link in the WP updates is wrong? It tells me that version 5.0.0.2 is out, but when I update, it stays at 4.9.7.8… Even my beta site (which had version 5) once updated tells me I now have 4.9.7.8!… So, I guess the link points to the previous version 😉

Galen

The Code Snippets plugin is having similar update issues.

Sebastian

Guys, thanks for alerting me to this. It sounds like WordPress are having issues with their plugin repo if it’s happening to other plugins. I was aware that Microthemer wasn’t updating on wordpress.org after committing version 5 yesterday (I was going for a soft launch over the weekend). But I didn’t realise the commit was half successful, causing an incorrect update message that doesn’t install the new zip file. I’ll try to address that now, and hopefully WP will sort things out on Monday if not before.

themeover.com is up to date however. So you can get the latest version 5.0.0.2 from My Downloads.

Cheers,
Sebastian

mrover

My local Instant WordPress install works now(thank you) but
the restore times in history are still screwed up.
Anyone else have this problem?

Paul

Sebastian

Hey Paul,

Sorry for not solving this one yet. It’s harder because I can’t replicate it. And I haven’t found anything in the code that might produce different results on different versions of PHP, which was the cause of your other issue.

I wonder if your MySQL time is different from your PHP time? In which case this thread might give you some ideas: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20925406/php-and-mysql-date-time-difference

Cheers,
Sebastian

mrover

I’ll have a look, not a big deal anyway.

Thanks

pingram3541

Not sure if this has been mentioned but I just tried to use MT with the Elementor Page Builder and some of the styling isn’t loaded. I assume their plugin only knows to load the styles on the front end or in it’s own editor. They are very proactive in integrating their builder to play nice with others and would be great to be able to style those pages using MT as well. Thanks for considering.

Sebastian

@pingram3541 I’m also happy to work with theme and plugin authors to make sure Microthemer is compatible. Would you mind sending me login details for the site you’re working on with some guidance on exactly which styles aren’t working? I just did a very quick test, and was able to change the color of some Elementor Page Builder buttons with Microthemer.

Cheers,
Sebastian

Sebastian

@pingram3541, on further inspection I’ve noticed that Elementor seems to remove Microthemer’s frontend JavaScript file, so you can’t make Microthemer edits at the same time Elementor is active on the page. That may be an additional issue to what you found. But it would be nice if MT styles could be applied without having to exit Elementor’s editing mode. I’ll contact them and see if we can work something out.

Cheers,
Sebastian

pingram3541

@Sebastian thanks and for clarity I had only tried to style a page already built with Elementor but the generated styles were not loading in the microthemer editor. After updating microthemer tonight it appears to load all of Elementor’s css properly now.

I hadn’t even gone as far as to apply css changes within microthemer and see if those load in the Elementor editor. Good catch. I suppose they should be reciprocal in that nature for best experience. Thanks again!

You must login or register to reply to this topic.