MT changes not saving [RESOLVED – host was blocking]

Author Posts

robertlo

http://dev.americanpoleandtimber.com/

MT is not saving the changes I make. I see this error:

I’m getting the Write Style Sheet Error, but my perms are normal. 664 for files and 775 for dirs, including for MT’s dir and files.

What else could be causing this problem?

Thanks,
Rob

Sebastian

Hi Robert,

Is this only happening on the latest site you installed Microthemer on? Could you send me login details via this secure contact form so that I can troubleshoot?

https://themeover.com/support/contact/

Many thanks,
Sebastian

robertlo

Certainly. I just sent the message.

Sebastian

Thanks for sending over login details Robert. Could you try the following and let me know how you get on please?

1. Access your site with an FTP program like FileZilla
  2. Navigate to the following folder and then right-click it: /wp-content/micro-themes/
  3. Choose File Permissions from the context menu.
  4. Set the permissions on the folder to 755
  5. Navigate to the following file and then right-click it: /wp-content/micro-themes/active-styles.css
  6. Choose File Permissions from the context menu.
  7. Set the permissions on the file to 644

Thanks,
Sebastian

robertlo

They were already 775 and 664 respectively, but I did change them to 755 an 644, but I checked perms the first time around.

In either case, changing them has not solved the problem. I still can’t save MT edits on this site.

Any ideas?

robertlo

If this information helps: This site was manually cloned from another site. So it already have MT edits in it when it was cloned from the source site.

Could there be something in MT that is reading the old URL, so it is unable to save to the new URL of this new site?

Sebastian

I see that you’re using WP Clone. If the clone it created wasn’t entirely clean in terms of URLs stored in the database, this might explain the issue. I would expect this to impact other parts of the site too though, not just Microthemer. But looking at your site URLs on the general settings page in WordPress they seem to be correct.

Would you mind sending me FTP details for the site? I’ve looked at the line of code in Microthemer that generates the ‘Write stylesheet error’ message. It definitely thinks that the stylesheet is unwritable. I’d like to do some experiments there. I could do this via WordPress’ plugin editor page but if I generate an errors in the process this could take down your site until the situation can be fixed via FTP.

Another option might be raising the issue with your web host.

robertlo

This site wasn’t created using WP Clone. I know it’s installed, but the host cloned the site on their end from another site we host with them. They’re an industry-specific host for the building and construction industry.

I did raise the issue with my host because I noticed that I was also unable to styling edits done via the theme options (like colors). The error suggested checking perms. This host generally doesn’t have people work on their sites besides them, so at times, they’ve had to give me access and perms to do certain things. So the perms error in theme options made the me think that problem was related to the stylesheet saving error in MT.

So I contacted the host about it, and they fixed the issue with the theme options, but the MT error is still there.

Would you rather I have the host specifically look into this MT saving issue before you look into it?

Sebastian

Hi Robert,

I’m just wondering if only the host has the power to effectively change permissions (some servers restrict permission changing via FTP programs). It might be worth asking them to set permissive permissions on the /micro-themes/ folder and everything in it (not just active-styles.css).

robertlo

I will pass that info to them now.

robertlo

Good news. The host fixed it. They had it blocked on their end.

You must login or register to reply to this topic.