Size of CSS files [and location – a couple general questions]

Author Posts

spiresw1

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hi – I’m loving the latest version of theme over and just had a question regarding the size and amount of the CSS files created by the plugin.

Where are the files stored first of all and what would you say the average size would be for an average site?

I’m asking as I have a folder in my theme folder which is close to 40mb and it is is full of CSS files – are these created by theme over?

Any help on this would be great,

Thanks

Sebastian

Hi there,

Microthemer just creates one CSS file: /wp-content/micro-themes/active-styles.css. It doesn’t modify any theme files so I guess that folder you’re looking at came with your theme.

Note: large folders in your theme don’t necessarily contribute to a slow loading web page if that’s what you are concerned about. Only the files that get included by the web page get downloaded by the browser and contribute to the overall load time of the page. Sometimes a website may contain a folder with lots of files that don’t load on every page and therefore don’t contribute to the load time.

I recommend scanning your page with the firebug and ySlow browser addons (for firefox) for some comprehensive (and slightly overwhelming) data on resources affecting page load time.

Cheers,

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.