Starting Over Microthemer with Responsive Twenty Ten?

Author Posts

vargula

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hi Sebastian,

its been a while since Ive been on the forum, I’d originally wanted to tweak my WP website sintero.org via a Theme Pack (its in Manifest) but wasn’t able to using Microthemer due to unavailability so have decided to migrate content to a theme where MT Theme Pack is available: Twenty Ten.

There is another reason for the migration: a lot of readers now use iPad and also I note there is a theme: “Responsive Twenty Ten” see http://responsivetwentyten.com/ This helps when content is looked at both on ordinary browsers as well as iOS-like devices.

Since this responsive theme actually depends on an “ordinary” Twenty Ten I’m assuming I’d be able to tweak with Microthemer OK…

However they say it depends on a child theme, which always confuses me, i.e. how that would be set up with respect to MT. In the past I missed the opportunity to create a child theme, which I gather is bad news when it comes to upgrading WordPress in the background as changes are not saved? So I want to remember to do it this time 😉

Anyway, a quick peek at the responsive twenty ten site shows it works as a plug in – it may be obvious to you that the combination of the responsive 2010 and MT will work OK – or not – any tips or guesses gratefully received 😉

Many thanks

Ed

Sebastian

Hi Ed,

MT should work fine with Twenty Ten and the Twenty Ten responsive plugin.

Just try to avoid setting fixed widths on elements. The responsive plugin will work by allowing widths to change flexibly with the size of the screen being used and you don’t want Microthemer to override this functionality.

If you ever find yourself needing to set a fixed width on something, just remember to shrink your browser window to make sure the expected responsive functionality remains.

As a general note, customizing a responsive theme is a bit more complex than customizing a fixed width theme. But that’s not to say you shouldn’t have a go!

Cheers,

Sebastian

vargula

Thx Sebastian, will give it a go!

Only puzzle left is:

> they say it depends on a child theme,
> which always confuses me, i.e. how that would be set up with respect to MicroThemer.

BR

Ed

Sebastian

Hi Ed,

It says you can just use the plugin (rather than the Child Theme option): http://responsivetwentyten.com/

But if you’d rather use the child theme method, Microthemer should still work even with the child theme activated – as long as the child theme only adds responsive functionality and doesn’t change the HTML. I would guess that’s the case, but this is a guess.

Cheers,

Sebastian

vargula

Thanks Sebastian as usual for great response – will proceed and will report back how it all goes. Ed

Sebastian

Good luck!

vargula

Hi Sebastian, have been away for a long time and today I got a note about the MT upgrade. I shyed away from tweaking my Sintero.org site because I couldn’t risk it but now want to have a go again. I don’t know if I’m eligible to use the new version ‘tho can you advise. It looks as if things have really come on with regard to responsive. My sintero.org site has some annoying white space difficulties (see home page) i.e. making the while space below “Simplifying interoperability for health care and research” a bit smaller and so I’m hoping MT can provide a fix. Best regards, Ed.

You must login or register to reply to this topic.