Tweak of footer letter pacing also changed sidebar menu spacing

Author Posts

vargula

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Hi,

I’m “almost there” resolving my teething problems, I hope you don’t see this as “hogging” the forum, I AM learning a lot in the process…

Anyhow, this problem came about when I tried to tweak the spacing in a small piece of text in my footer. Rather embarrassingly, I cant locate actually where I tweaked it, given the vast number of controls 😉

It actually gave the appearance I was after in the footer letter spacing, BUT then I noticed that my sidebar (widget based LINKS etc) letter spacing had also changed meaning that the sidebar links had become spaced out and some links wrapped on to two lines (=not wanted)

For illustration, see this link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1129320/downloads/tweak-of-footer-spacing-also-changed-sidebar-menu-spacing.gif

Ideally I’d like to return my footer to what it was (or leave it spaced out) but NOT affect the sidebar listing of links (and others above what is shown on the linked screenshot).

Many thanks for the great help, really is appreciated.

Best Regards

Ed

Sebastian

Hi Ed,

No problem, we’re here to help. Note however, forum support may be a little thin this weekend.

I see that you’ve applied a letter-spacing of 2px to ALL links across the website. You’ve done this by editing the “Link” selector in the “Main Body” section at the very top of the Microthemer UI. Selectors in this section globally affect all elements on your site, so you will want to remove the style you applied here.

To apply styling only to links in the footer, find the “Site Generator Link” selector in the “Footer” section and then adjust the letter-spacing.

A good tip for finding where you’ve applied styles is to click the “CSS” link in the Microthemer UI (right sidebar, next to blue “View Site” button) and then do a Contrl+F (or Apple+F on macs) to search for the property or value e.g. “spacing” or “2”. You should then be able to easily see what section the style comes under, e.g.:

/* =Main Body
————————————————————– */

vargula

Excellent – many thanks, this worked a treat. What can i say – finally getting there due to Microthemer and the help received, well done you! …and the little css tip was great also! Ed

Sebastian

Glad to hear it!

You must login or register to reply to this topic.