TwentyEleven 3-column layout

Author Posts

cangrejero

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

I’ve been using Scott Dixon’s TwentyEleven-Layouts (http://zeaks.org) which allows me to create TwentyEleven child themes with three columns. If I go with the Blank Twenty Eleven microtheme, will I still be able to use Dixon’s layouts? Any guidance appreciated. Thanks!!!

Sebastian

Hi there,

If you are adapting Scott Dixon’s child theme that can be downloaded here: http://zeaks.org/three-column-twenty-eleven/ – you can still use the “Blank Twenty Eleven” Micro Theme but it will need some modification.

For instance, in order to style the extra sidebar you will need to create a selector in the Microthemer UI for it. You would enter this in the CSS textarea “.three-column #extra-sidebar” and then give it a label (e.g. “Extra Sidebar”).

You may also find that you need to modify existing selectors in the “Blank Twenty Eleven” Micro Theme to make them as specific as the selectors in the child theme (e.g. change “#content” to “.three-column #content”).

I hope that helps!

Regards,

Sebastian

cangrejero

Sebastian, thanks for your prompt response.

Actually, I’m not adapting Dixon’s child theme nor the TwentyEleven basic theme.

I install both as stand alone themes, then I just create a child, bring TwentyEleven’s and Dixon’s CSS into my child through @import, and make whatever changes in my child; not in either of them. That way, whenever those are updated I can use them “as is”.

Will I still need some modification?

Sebastian

I see.

Yes I think you will still need to do the modifications if the parent theme creates HTML that is different from that produced by the default Twenty Eleven theme.

Regards,

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.