Warning Illegal string [RESOLVED in Microthemer version 2.4.1]

Tagged: 

Author Posts

CASECLARITY

Notice: this information was written when Microthemer version 2 was current. On Dec 26th, 2014 version 3 was released with a completely new interface. Some of the information may be redundant, but as much of the functionality remains the same in version 3 we haven't deleted this post.

Just installed Microthemer and went to create a selector. Got the following message:

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘style_config’ in C:wampwwwsite2wp-contentpluginsmicrothemertvr-microthemer.php on line 1435
Call Stack
# Time Memory Function Location
1 0.0009 317936 {main}( ) ..admin.php:0
2 0.9418 50290088 do_action( ) ..admin.php:149
3 0.9418 50291584 call_user_func_array ( ) ..plugin.php:406
4 0.9418 50291664 tvr_microthemer_admin->microthemer_ui_page( ) ..plugin.php:406
5 0.9494 50401520 include( ‘C:wampwwwsite2wp-contentpluginsmicrothemerincludestvr-microthemer-ui.php’ ) ..tvr-microthemer.php:841
6 1.0113 50451704 tvr_microthemer_admin->manage_selector( ) ..tvr-microthemer-ui.php:447

What may be causing this?

Sebastian

Hey,

Sorry to hear you’ve found a bug. I’m away at the moment so can’t release a fix until after the weekend – but I suspect you might be able to circumvent this bug in the short term by resetting the Microthemer UI (option in side menu on the right) or installing and importing a Theme Pack or Plugin pack.

I will address this properly on Monday. I hope that helps for now.

Cheers,

Sebastian

CannonBeach

Me too…. Same line #

Warning: Illegal string offset ‘style_config’ in C:inetpubwwwrootwp-contentpluginsmicrothemertvr-microthemer.php on line 1435

CannonBeach

Sebastian, fwiw, if it can help w/troubleshooting here’s more of my error details from my php_error log:

[26-Aug-2013 17:23:51 UTC] PHP Warning: Illegal string offset ‘style_config’ in C:inetpubwwwrootwp-contentpluginsmicrothemertvr-microthemer.php on line 1435
[26-Aug-2013 17:28:59 UTC] PHP Warning: Illegal string offset ‘position’ in C:inetpubwwwrootwp-contentpluginsmicrothemertvr-microthemer.php on line 1880
[26-Aug-2013 17:28:59 UTC] WordPress database error BLOB/TEXT column ‘settings’ can’t have a default value for query CREATE TABLE cbc_micro_revisions ( id mediumint(9) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, time datetime DEFAULT ‘0000-00-00 00:00:00’ NOT NULL, user_action VARCHAR(55) DEFAULT ” NOT NULL, data_size VARCHAR(10) DEFAULT ” NOT NULL, settings longtext DEFAULT ” NOT NULL, UNIQUE KEY id (id) ) DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 made by do_action(‘toplevel_page_tvr-microthemer’),

CannonBeach

I see that both of us are using home based servers….?
Lemme go try with a *shudder* ‘hosted’ site… brb…

So, on my hosted site the error did not occur here: http://testing.northcoastcomputers.com

On my ‘home server’ site I was styling li bullets and Vertical menus in the Artisteer/Woocommerce sideCol. Both Live and Home sites are almost the same.

unlike the OP I’m on Windows, IIS, MySQL & PHP.

hth.

CannonBeach

WP 3.6 and PHP ver. 5.5.3 for me.

It seems that it was all working fine before I updated PHP (from 5.2.17) but I could be miss taken.

CannonBeach

[26-Aug-2013 17:28:59 UTC] WordPress database error Table ‘wordpress.cbc_micro_revisions’ doesn’t exist for query select id from cbc_micro_revisions order by id asc made by do_action(‘toplevel_page_tvr-microthemer’), call_user_func_array, tvr_microthemer_admin->microthemer_ui_page, tvr_microthemer_admin->updateRevisions

Sebastian

Hey,

Thank you very much for all the debug info. I’ll make sorting this a priority for today.

ps sorry I didn’t get onto this yesterday, it was a bank holiday weekend here in the UK.

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

PS to help me replicate the problem, have you found that this error only occurs when there are no selectors present and you try to create the first one? Or does it happen even if you import a random plugin pack (e.g. https://themeover.com/cf7-smart-beauty/) and then try to create additional CSS selectors?

Also, could you tell me exactly where the error appears on the page (e.g. at the top as a regular wordpress notice or inserted between some content in the Microthemer UI (in a rather haphazard way)?

Many Thanks!

Sebastian

Sebastian

Oh and please could you confirm what version of Microthemer you are using?

Abland

Hi,

This seems to be an issue from PHP 5.4 and up. I have sites running 5.3 with no warnings being thrown.

I am unable to test but what if a !empty() declaration was added in before the foreach?

Sebastian

Hey,

Thanks for your input Abland. I think the illegal string offset issue may be a downstream consequence of a MySQL issue/bug discussed here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3466872/why-cant-a-text-column-have-a-default-value-in-mysql

I’ve just rolled out Microthemer version 2.3.8 which has a potential fix for the issue. Please could someone experiencing the problem upgrade to version 2.3.8 and confirm whether or not this release fixes the issue: https://themeover.com/my-downloads/

Many Thanks,

Sebastian

ps version 2.3.8 now supports media queries for building responsive sites. It is just part 1 of the responsive feature. Part 2 will have some useful options for easily switching between screens of different sizes in the visual view.

Sebastian

I’ve just stumbled across this error while helping another customer who was having issues with server permissions. This means that unfortunately 2.3.8 doesn’t fix the issue, but now that I can replicate it, I should be able to work out a definite fix.

I’ll update you here soon.

Sebastian

CannonBeach

Cool – thanks Sebastian.

See how much faster you all develop when I’m not chipping in my 2c worth! If it wasn’t for my customers I could get some real tech. work done 🙂

Sebastian

You’re 2c has been very helpful!

Sebastian 🙂

Sebastian

OK, it looks like Abland was correct. This issue is specific to PHP 5.4, which is more strict than previous versions.

I will need to comb through Microthemer and make some code alterations. I’ll write back here soon!

Cheers,

Sebastian

Sebastian

I’ve just released version 2.4.1 which fixes this illegal offset problem on servers running PHP 5.4. It also has 2 fixes for the recent media query feature.

You can upgrade to the latest version via the WordPress plugins page or by downloading the plugin directly from themeover.com: https://themeover.com/my-downloads/

That should fix everything, please let me know if you encounter any more problems.

Cheers,

Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.