Microthemer target and editing GUI stopped working [worked fine until now]

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  robertlo 6 years, 2 months ago.

Author Posts

robertlo

buildingproductsplus.com

I’ve had MT running on this site for several months now with no problem, but today, I tried to use like I always do, and here’s what happened:

– Double clicked on text to select it. Then clicked on the tab to target up down left or right, and it did nothing. Nor did MT show any of the selectors being highlighted. That part of MT was blank.

– None of the icons at the top of the page to select CSS settings (font, background, text, behavior, etc) did anything. When I clicked on them nothing happened.

All plugins, theme and wp are up to date. I have another site with the same thing, on the same hosting using MT and it works fine.

Any ideas?


Sebastian

Hey Robert,

It does sound like some kind of conflict. Could you send me login details for the affected site via our secure contact form please?

Cheers,
Sebastian


robertlo

Well this site has the exact same setup and plugins active and inactive as another site using the same theme at the same host, and MT works fine.

I am hesitant to give out login info for this site because it is a live site. Do you have any ideas that I can check on on my end?


Sebastian

Certainly, please try the following:

  1. Go to the Microthemer interface (using Google Chrome)
  2. Right-click anything in the site preview and choose ‘Inspect’
  3. Go to the console tab of the inspector that pops up at the bottom of the page.
  4. Refresh the page, and look for any red error messages that appear in the console.
  5. When I went to reply to your message yesterday I noticed a problem with the post form. On inspecting themeover.com via the console I saw a red error message depicted in the screenshot below.
  6. If you don’t see a red error message after refreshing the page, try some of the Microthemer actions you described in your original message.
  7. If you do find a red error eventually, expand it using the triangle to the left and then click the link which indicates the source file and line number. That will show you the exact point that the error occurs in the script.
  8. In my example case below, the problem script was combined with other scripts into a single file. It was therefore necessary for me to temporarily disable my script optimization plugin (Autoptimize). Once I did that, I discovered that my ‘Simple Share Buttons Adder’ plugin was the issue (because the source file in the error message pointed to that plugin). And as I’m not actually using it right now a quick fix was to disable it.
  9. Feel free to email me the error information you get in the console if you’re not sure how to act on it.

console error

Cheers,
Sebastian


robertlo

Sebastian,

Thanks for the detailed info. Below is a link to the screenshot of my error console, but I’m not sure where to go from here. But I love the education you are providing me.

Screenshot: http://leadoptimize.com/screenshots/BPP%20MT%20Error%20Screenshot.jpg


Sebastian

Hi Robert,

I’m currently working on an update that should eliminate the source map errors. But I’m doubtful it will solve the main issue. While I work on the update, could you try doing some more things in Microthemer with the console open and see if you can get any other red error message?

Cheers,
Sebastian


robertlo

When I clicked of the F (font) button, I got these additional errors in this screenshot: http://leadoptimize.com/screenshots/BPP%20MT%20Error%20Screenshot-2.jpg


Sebastian

Hey, I’ve released 4.9.6.8 which should elimate the most recent error messages you found. Unfortunately I think those too were ‘soft errors’ and not the cause of your issues. Could you try upgrading and then hunting in the console further?

Thanks,
Sebastian


robertlo

Your right. That didn’t fix the problem. But I found the cause. This plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/kudobux-testimonial-widget/

I disabled it and MT worked normally, and that plugin is not in the other site I have been referencing so far. And that plugin has caused problems with this theme before as well.

But the client uses it, so I’ll just deactivate it when I’m using MT, and then turn it back on when I’m done.


Sebastian

Hey Robert,

Thanks for sharing your discovery. I’m glad you managed to get to the bottom of it. I will have a play with the Kudobuzz Testimonial Widget plugin and see what’s causing the JavaScript error. And I may even suggest a fix to the author. I’ll keep you updated on my progress on that.

Cheers!
Sebastian


robertlo

Yeah they need to fix it on their end I bet because at one point, that plugin was preventing on the content generated by a particular theme’s page builder from showing up. When I deactivated that plugin, the content showed up.

You must login or register to reply to this topic.