Your opinion to this behaviour – styling submitted form data

Author Posts

zholy9

Hi Sebastian…

I’ve got a small question for you – if you have some spare time (haha – spare time, right ? 🙂

http://www.ufocused.com/price … this page has a gravity form and a BB text field with a shortcode from Gravity Perks. This page displays info, that has been submitted from another form (from quote page).

Now I wanted to style the PRICE page with the data, that have been sent, but when MT opens, it will open as if the page is normally without data – thus there’s nothing to style 🙂

In theory, it’s not a big deal, as for the styling I can just “hardcode” some text and picture, style it and then run the form.

Or – do you think, it’s the SpiderPro plugin, who instead of opening MT (as we discussed in email) forces to open the page, like it would load on it’s own (without being triggered by the first form)? I’ve tried to disable the plugin, but then I didn’t get MT in the top bar 🙁 … so can’t confirm. But then, while writing this made me found a work around = having MT open, but minimized to just to the MT button top left … fill the first form, get redirected and then maximize MT.

Just wanted to know your opinion, regards starting MT while on the page with submmited data. Thx

Sebastian

Hey,

Your workaround is exactly what I would recommend. Go to the form page in MT, and then submit the data, thus being redirected to the quote results page inclusive of text / images.

Cheers,
Sebastian

zholy9

Hi Sebastian,

continuing this question – Jay has now “fixed” the button, on his Spider plugin, so I can click/start MT from where I want. And obviously, I’ve tried it on the price page, with data … but once Mt opened, the data was gone.

So do you think it has something to do with MT itself, as it starts … or still a Spider plugin “doing” ?

[just asking out of curiosity]

Thanks

Sebastian

Hey,

Thanks for the update on the spider plugin. The behaviour with the quote form isn’t actually a quirk of the spider plugin or Microthemer. It’s just how HTML forms work.

When you submit a form, the action attribute specifies an URL to send the form data to. So after you submit the form, you end up at the URL specified. And because you sent form data, the browser can display that form data on screen. However, when you visit the same URL directly by typing it into your browser’s address bar, or visiting a link, you are not sending any data. And so the browser cannot display anything on screen.

Data submitted via a form is not remembered by the browser beyond the initial page load. For data to persist, it must be saved to a database or in a session. And the quote system used in your theme doesn’t do that.

I hope that helps clarify things a little 🙂

Cheers,
Sebastian

You must login or register to reply to this topic.